Friday, April 30, 2010

What Products could you not live without / can't live with... trying to do my registry looking for advice!!!!

Any info on where I can find the good products or why I should avoid others would be appreciated!!


I have done my research and have a some picks already; just wondering what real world experiance people have had with baby products


I am 17 weeks pregnant with my first and am not finding out the sex.What Products could you not live without / can't live with... trying to do my registry looking for advice!!!!
here's some practical (not necessarily needs, but I'd never want to live without) Disposable changing pads made by Huggies. They are the greatest invention. Keep them handy for sanitary restaurant changes, unexpected car changes, visiting family/friend changes. Also, diaper duckies (available at Target for sure) they are smaller, fit right into your diaper bag, rubber duckies with a blue tubular container that holds a roll of bags for disposal of diapers. The plastic bags are convenient for everywhere. They keep the diaper smell in the bag and make clean up super easy. (No diaper geanie needed) PLUS the duck design on top helps calm fussy babies while being changed. Also, Wet-Ones face and hand wipes. I keep them everywhere. THey're good for a quick clean up on changing tables/pads, counter tops, as well as messy dirty hands and faces. It makes it so much easier to keep things sanitary and clean while caring for a baby. Those are my can't live withouts. They're inexpensive and the more you have the better.... oh and... congratulations!What Products could you not live without / can't live with... trying to do my registry looking for advice!!!!
My daughter would be STARVING when she woke up, and would go from sleeping to screaming in 2 seconds. My life saver was this product from Babies R Us-it was a bottle cooler and warmer that you put in the nursery (or wherever). You make the bottle at night, and let it sit in the fridge for like 2-4 hours, I think, then, you can put it in the cooler (it has a section that you freeze beforehand) and it will last overnight. When the baby wakes up, you put the bottle in the steamer for like 15 seconds and PERFECTO-bottle is ready. It was the best thing I ever used!
if you live in a cold area definitely get one of the fleece car seat covers.no need for a jacket for baby.simply zip it up and when the baby inevitably falls asleep in the car and you bring them in the house ,just unzip and they wont overheat...and you wont disturb them either!
I had my first child and also had no idea what to ask for in my registry. Here are some ideas.





Choose a feeding system. Don't worry about a bottle warmer or sterilizer, but pick out a set of bottles (you don't want a bunch of mismatched ones it could confuse the baby, and I was always switching nipples and caps between bottles). I breastfed my son for the first 6 months, and when I went to work he used Playtex Premium Nurser system. They use disposable liners, so you're not always washing the whole bottle. They helped my son keep nursing when I got home because they're slow-flow silicone nipples. The large bottles are much better than the small ones because the baby can use them when he/she grows bigger and eats more. My son still drinks from these bottles at 11 months when he's not using a sippy cup.





Take him all the diapers you can get... but only open one pack at a time so you can take them back for a bigger size if you need to.





Don't get a wipe warmer, it burns a bunch of the wipes on the bottom and it's not necessary. Warm them in your hands before a diaper change if you're worried they will be cold.





You can never get enough sleepers. I was confused at first about all the different styles of clothes, but in the beginning sleepers are the best thing because they are just one piece covering your whole baby, s/he can wear them all day and all night. Get at least 7 to 10 so you can go a few days without doing laundry--you wont have time for laundry every day.





I had a diaper genie, but i never got the hang of it and always just used a big trash can with a lid and changed it often.





A changing table is not totally necessary, but is sure a big help and I loved mine! My son has just now outgrown it. I reccommed one.





When your baby is a newborn s/he won't have a big interest in toys, but s/he will grow in to them. A Mobile might be of interest to him/her, something that lights up and plays gentile music.





I always wished I had gotten one of those travel systems, where the car seat detatches as a baby carrier and that becomes the stroller seat too. Your baby will go to sleep all the time at first, especially in the car, and when you're going out you don't want to wake him/her to put him/her into the stroller. That would have been really convenient.





One thing I loved was the pack-and-play. I used the top bassinet on top as a downstairs crib, and when my son got too big for that its also a play pen. He still uses that.





Hope this all helps. Congratulations, and good luck!
I got pretty much all the basics from my shower, and it really helped a lot. I had no idea what to put on either, since it was my first, but a friend helped me, and we did pretty good. Here are some of my suggestions, I'm sure you have already thought of most.


* Swing - I had the travel size, fisher price w/ music and a couple toys and a mirror - used it A LOT!


* Stroller w/ carrier - I LOVE IT!


* Musical mobile for crib - not on my registry, but someone bought as a gift for me - fisher price classical chorus and lights - my daughter still uses it to this day (she's 2 now)


* baby monitor - a mid priced one, the cheap ones don't work


* high chair - one that folds up





other basics -


bottles


onesies - some of all sizes


diapers - newborn and size 1


wipes


bath tub


bath supplies (lotion, oil, wash, nail clippers)


towels


washcloths


bibs


burp cloths


pacifiers


thermometer


nose sucker thingy


crib mattress pads (2)


crib sheets


crib set (comforter, skirt, etc.)


bassinet pads


bassinet sheets


lap changing pads


receiving blankets


some thicker, bigger blankets


sleepers


I don't like my diaper pail - it was a gift, not chosen by me - just safety 1st from walmart. It always falls apart and doesn't do anything with the smell. May I recommend a trash can and some lysol?! lol


My registry was done at Walmart, so that's where the majority of my gifts were from. All of the bigger things I have had no problems with. Stroller was Graco, high chair was Evenflo.


You sound like you are doing a great job planning ahead. I had lots of light green and yellow, since I didn't find out the sex either. Gives you an excuse to go shopping after the baby is born, for some blue or pink stuff! Congrats, and good luck with everything!
Diapers, You don't need the baby comforters because you are not supposed to use them with baby, bottles if you are not breastfeeding, a breast pump if you are breastfeeding, baby blankets the receiving blanket kind are great and can do double triple or more duty they make great burp cloths way better than the actual burp cloths. Green and yellow are neutral colors for sleepers blankets etc. since you will not know the gender in advance
You dont need 3/4 of the stuff out there. Things you do need include a car seat, a baby bath tub, diapers, wipes, a stroller, a crib, sheets and blankets and clothing.





You dont need a diaper genie. They are more trouble then they are worth. Just get a pail with a lid.
one zee's and spit towels you can never have enough. also Diapers and instead of a diaper Genie get a diaper disposal can that closes and you can use normal garbage bags for. Diaper Geanies get expensive. also a bottle warmer is great. ohh and cordless monitors.'
OMG, TWO WORDS





';DIAPER GENIE';





After that, the things that I used the most were our carseat, our bassinet, our baby wash tub, Balmex, the nasal aspirator the hospital gives you, wipes (lots of those - we love the CVS Soft Cloth ones in scented), Halo Sleep Sacks, a couple of receiving blankets, a binky or two, and seriously, Gerber footie pajamas that zip, not snap (those snaps can be h*ll at 2AM).





We loved shopping at Babies R Us too... They have EVERYTHING you could dream of...





Congrats on your little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment